Monday, April 23, 2007

to speed and to strive

Minutes into my coming out of the Indianapolis airport Wednesday (Apr 18), Matt Fox of Indiana Council on World Affairs simply made me happy. “Let’s go to the speedtrack,” deserves no refusal, and I found myself gazing, mesmerized, at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
This is the track where the Indianapolis 500-Mile Race, often shortened to Indianapolis 500 or Indy 500, and historically known simply as 'The 500,' is held annually over the Memorial Day weekend. 'The Greatest Spectacle in Racing' is one of the oldest and richest motorsport events in existence, having the largest attendance and one of the largest radio and television audiences of any single-day sporting event worldwide.
I had more to be surprised. never before we entered the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Hall of Fame Museum, he had told me that about 75 vehicles including many which won the race through years are on display. I just kept on clicking my camera as I encountered the beauty of the bygone ages. The museum is recognized as one of the most highly visible museums in the world devoted to automobiles and auto racing.

With my thirst to know more growing, we got on a bus that took us around the the track.
I felt the track, gasoline stations, media station, drivers and visitors' parkway, and even the grasses of the speedway, as if, had something to tell us, as I was listening to a recorded description of the track and the events -- three of separate kind taking place around the year.
Besides there are pre- and post-race traditions that also attract a huge spectators from acorss the globe.

Photos: (L) Cover of Speed Age magazine, showing start of first Indianapolis 500; (R) the media complex

No comments: